An open house is your chance to show homebuyers exactly what they will get when purchasing your property. It is your chance to show off. Remember that first impressions are vital in the home selling process, so it is important to go through your property to make sure you create exactly the impression you are going for.
The first thing a buyer will see is the outside of your house, so this is where you should begin. Make sure the paint isn't chipped or cracking, and there are no debris, toys and trash lying around in your yard.
- Sweep the driveway and the walkways
- Clear away any trash, bicycles or toys
- Pay close attention to your landscaping
- Consider a fresh coat of paint
- Clean your windows
- Clear up after your pets
- Make sure all plumbing and outdoor appliances are in good working order
- Clean out your gutters and make sure there are no missing roof tiles
Once you have made a good impression with the outside of your home, it is time to turn your concentration to your living space.
Secure your valuables (including prescription medication, jewelry and cash)
- Make sure your kitchen and restrooms are sparkling clean
- Ensure your windows, sinks, tile and bathtubs are appropriately sealed and clean
- Have your carpets thoroughly cleaned
- Make sure all dishes are clean and put away. Don't leave dishes in the sink or on the counters
- Make the beds and put cloths away
- Arrange rooms to appear as spacious as possible
- Straighten your closets and make sure all toys are put away
- Keep your pets out of sight. See if you can keep them with a neighbor, friend or family member during the open house
- Open the blinds, turn on lights, arrange some fresh flowers for display and play soft music in the background. Baking is nice
- Keep a fire going in the winter
- Turn off the television
Keep in mind that many prospective homebuyers are more comfortable when the owner isn't present during an open house. Trust in the advice of your real estate agent, and your home will make a lasting impression.
D.L. Jones and Associates
3668 W. Anthem Way, Suite B-158
Anthem, AZ 85086